I love pizza. I simply can’t get enough of this delicious and genius food. Seriously you can vary it as crazy as you wish to. You can make all different kind of versions; gourmet, cheap, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten free and even as a dessert pizza. It’s just madness if you do not love love love this wonderful dish.
Even though I could eat pizza all day every day (seriously I could) I always get extra cravings on friday night. I imagine myself with a big glass of red wine and a homemade pizza, Oh So Good! And the best part is that nobody says no to this kind of invitation, and pizza is so much better when you share it with friends and family, smile**
I have a thing for an awesome Italian style pizza with lots of serrano, mozzarella, olives, artichokes, mozzarella, basil and of course homemade chinky tomato sauce. This version is the regular friday night dinner and I have troubles changing it for something else since it is so damn good. But last friday night I got this revelation, it happened when I saw this season’s first fresh figs at the marked and I became so excited that I bought a dozen, and instantly wanted to make all sorts of recipes with this lovely little fellow. So far I have made 3 awesome recipes, yay!
There’s just something magical about the combination of blue cheese and figs, and since I’m a serrano freak (you probably have noticed that already) I wanted to add this as well. Tomato sauce is a no-go with figs and blue cheese, so luckily I had a glass of my favorit garlic-basil oil to spread across the pizza crust. It became a perfect pizza with a delicate combination of all flavors. Especially the sweet figs with the salty serrano and the blue cheese filled with umami and flavour really impressed my tastebuds. I almost can’t wait until next friday….and maybe I won’t :)
Fig & blue cheese pizza
Makes 4 portion sized pizzas1 portion pizza dough
2 fresh figs
3,5 oz/100 g blue cheese
8 slices of serrano
4 tsp garlic & basil oil (se recipe here)
A handfull of fresh basil leaves
Perfect pizza dough
This is the best pizza dough recipe ever, I always make this one with kamut and durum flour for a crispy and sweet result!
1 cup/250 ml lukewarm water
1 oz/25 g active yeast
150 g durum flour, tipo 00
250 g kamut flour (or another wholegrain flour e.g. spelt, graham)
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In a bowl dissolve yeast in 1/5 of the water. Add 2 Tbsp of durum flour and mix it with the yeast mixture. Then cover the bowl with a cloth and place on the kitchen counter for approx. 30 min.
2. Preheat the oven to it’s maximum temperature and leave the baking stones in the oven while heating it.
3. Remove the cloth from the bowl. The mixture should look bobbling and the yeast should be active. Add the remaining water, olive oil and salt and mix it together. Add all of the flour and knead the dough in the bowl until it stays well together.
4. On a clean surface drizzle some durum flour and divide the dough into four portions. Role out each portion of pizza dough and place on parchment. Add 1 tsp of garlic & basil oil to each portion of dough and spread it across the whole surface. Then add 2 pieces of serrano, half a fig cut into pieces and chunks of blue cheese to each pizza dough.
5. Remove baking stones from oven and quickly lift the parchment with pizza on to it and place it back in the oven. Bake for approx. 10 min or until the pizzas look golden and delicious.
Serve the pizzas with fresh basil leaves, fresh baby spinach and some extra garlic & basil oil to drizzle on top if desired.
WARNING: You might find yourself eating more than one pizza…but take it from a professional; it is perfectly normal and you should not worry too much, just enjoy ;)