Are you a fan of crunchy cookies?
Well, I sure am!
And let me tell you, I’ve been on a mission to create the perfect grain-free, sugar-free version for a while now.
And guess what?
I finally did it!
I know some of you prefer a moist and tender cookie, but sometimes you need a cookie that can stand up to being dipped in your tea or coffee without falling apart.
Am I right or am I right?
Not only are these cookies nutritious and approved as a healthier study snack, but they are so easy to make!
You only need a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
And the chocolate frosting?
It’s vegan and more nutritious, but if that doesn’t appeal to you, you can always use melted dark chocolate instead.
So the next time you have a cookie craving, are in need of some inspiration or want to treat your study group, friend, or neighbor, remember these cookies!
Trust me, they won’t disappoint.
Almond Cookies with Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 250 g almonds or ground I used 100 g store b ought blanched almond flour + 150 g coarsely home-ground almonds
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup coconut sugar or granulated sweetener (I used sukrin gold)
- 1 tsp ground vanilla
- Zest from 1 organic lemon can be substituted with orange
- ½ tsp cardamom
- A generous pinch of salt
Vegan chocolate frosting
- 100 g creamed coconut coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar honey or sweetener of your choice
- Preheat oven to 175 ºC / 350 ºF. Mix ground almonds with the spices, zest and sugar. Whip the egg whites into stiff puffs and gently fold them into the dry mixture. Scoop portions of the batter onto a lined baking sheet and gently press the cookies into round shapes, not too thin.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 min or until golden, remove and set aside to cool. In a double boiler heat coconut oil and creamed coconut, mix it with the sugar and set a side (preferable in the fridge) to cool and stir it every 5 min until it has a semi thick texture. Now place a teaspoon of thick frosting on each cookie and smear it out into a circle. Drizzle a bit of chopped almonds onto the frosting and let it set completely. Store in an airtight container.