Ready to get into the holiday spirit?
Let’s start with these delicious Baked Winter Apples.
The perfect combination, they’re sweet, nutty, and oh-so-festive.
They’re also healthy and easy to make. What more could you ask for in a holiday treat?
The filling is a healthy “marzipan” made from dates and nuts.
I like to use pistachios and toasted almonds, but you can use any nuts you have on hand.
To give the apples a little extra shine, I like to add a splash of butter and maple syrup halfway through baking for a deliciously caramelized surface.
You can serve these baked winter apples with yogurt, creme fraiche, or whipped cream.
And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding a splash of rum for an extra aromatic twist.
So, let’s get baking!
These baked winter apples are the perfect way to kick off the holiday season.
And when you make a batch, be sure to share your creations on Instagram and tag me so I can see all of your delicious creations!
Baked Christmas Apples
- 6 apples choose some that can hold the shape while baking
- 30 g pistachio
- 50 g almonds
- 100 g soft dates stone removed
- 25 g butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 14 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200ºC / 400ºF. Rinse all apples. Cut of the top ‘hat’ of the apple. Then gently remove the core of the apple – but be carefull not to cut brought the skin or the bottom of the apple.
- In a foodprocessor combine butter, spices, dates and nut and blend until you have a sticky ‘marcipan’. Fill up the apples with the marcipan and place the top back on the apple. Place the apples in a baking tray and let them bake in the oven. After 10 min you remove the apples and place a little nut-sized piece of butter on top of each and drizzle them with a little maple syrup. Place them back in the oven and give them 10-20 more minutes, until they are completely tender and golden. The baking time varies according to sort of apple, so you need to use you eyes and nose here :)
- To the apples with a little extra chopped pistachio and serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or whipped cream.