This dish is one of the savory porridge recipes. It’s made with quinoa, which is a different kind of porridge ingredient, but it works really well.
It is gluten-free, high in protein, and has a beautiful appearance.
We used beets in the recipe because they’re in season now, and I’ve been stocking up on fresh organic beets from the farmer’s market and some from my friend’s garden.
The recipe calls for both fresh beets and beet juice. You can make your own at home or buy it at the grocery store.
It also calls for cottage cheese. But you can use ricotta or goat cheese as a delicious alternative.
All the deep flavors we love from fall are still present in this perfect light late-summer dish.
Beetroot & Quinoa Pot
Beetroot & Quinoa Pot with Horseradish Dressing and Crispy Bacon
- 17.5 OZ peeled beetroots in cubes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup quinoa black, red or a mix
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 300 ml beetroot juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp butter, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- finely grated horseradish
- 1½ tbsp Salt and pepper
- 100 g crispy bacon
- Preheat oven to 200 °C / 400 °F.
- Mix beetroots in a pan with thyme, honey, oil and salt. Cover the pan with foil and bake it for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for additional 20 minutes.
- While the beets are baking start the quinoa stew. Heat the butter in a pot and saut © the onions for 1 minute. Add the quinoa and saut © for another minute. Add the beetroot juice, stock and salt. Let the quinoa simmer for 25 min, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove the pot from the heat and gentle stir cottage cheese and parsley into the stew until evenly combined. Season to tasteIn a little bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing and season to taste
- Serve the stew in bowl, top with baked beets, crispy bacon and dressing.. Enjoy!
Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 4067mg | Potassium: 627mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 463IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 4mg