Are you ready for some delicious and easy-to-make holiday treats?
Look no further than these chocolate-covered coconut macaroons with a hint of candied ginger and salted pistachios.
Not only are they super easy to make, but they can be made sugar-free with a granulated sugar substitute.
Or, if you prefer the traditional route, you can use regular or coconut sugar.
For extra texture and flavor, try using crushed dates instead of sugar.
And the best part?
The coating can be any chocolate you like, and you can top them with nuts, dried fruit, or freeze-dried berries to fit your holiday theme.
For more sweet treat inspiration, check out my orange-flavored marzipan and nougat treats and my chocolate and date love truffles from last year.
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate, Ginger & Pistachio
Servings 20 small macaroons
- 120 g grated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 60 g granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tsp grund vanilla
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
- 25 g butter coconut oil, melted
- A pinch of salt
- 50-100 g chocolate – depending on how thick a layer you want
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts salted and unshelled
- 4-5 tbsp pieces candied ginger or dried tropical fruit, as melon and mango
- Preheat oven to 175 C/350 F (fan)
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and salt until foamy. Mix in melted butter and coconut and let it rest for 10-15 min until the coconut has soaked up the liquid and the batter is more firm.
- Spoon up 1 tbsp of batter and use your palm to shape a little cone, and place it on a lined baking stone. Proceed with the rest of the batter. Bake in the oven for 8-10 min, remove as soon as they are starting to get golden. It is very important that you do not over bake them since they will get very dry. Transfer the paper with the macaroons onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler. Finely chop the pistachio and ginger and mix together. Dip the bottom of the macaroons in the melted chocolate (preferable 2 times if using 100 g chocolate) and place them with the pointy end down on a rack (this allows them to balance and make a beautiful coating). Sprinkle with the ginger/pistachio mix and let them dry completely.Store the macaroons in the fridge for up t0 a week.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 57IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 0.3mg