My partner is a big fan of hearty breakfasts, and he loved this recipe. I admit that I am more of a dinner person when it comes to hearty and filling meals.
It’s super easy to make, requires only a few inexpensive ingredients, and you only need one pan to cook it all in.
Plus, you can treat yourself to something sweet afterward, like Italian ice cream, because it’s a light meal with only about 350 calories per serving.
And I think it’s handy to have a treat or two planned with all this heat and travel.
Creamy Spinach w. Fried Eggs
- 900 g whole leaved spinach – equals two frozen bags
- 1 cup cooking cream (8%) or soy cream
- 1/2 cup spelt/barley pearls
- 7 spring onions
- 4 eggs
- 50 g grated parmesan
- Zest and juice from one organic lemon
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F /200 °F.
- Cook your grains according to the package. Make sure your spinach is thawed. If not steam it in a pot for about 10 min. When the spinach is thawed squeeze it free of excess water.
- Rinse the onions and chop them. Heat a ovenproof skillet and add a tsp of oil. Saut © onions and cooked, drained grains for a few minutes. Add spinach, lemon, cream, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper, give it stir and season to taste. Let it cook for a few more minutes, If it gets to dry add a bit of water or additional cream.
- When it is done crack all of the eggs out on the surface, keep the yolks intact. Place it in the oven for about 10 minutes until the egg whites are firm and the yolk still soft.
- Serve with some toasted wholegrain bread or as it is.
Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 1157mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 1mg