I come from a family that loves dairy products.
We are all about ice cream, yogurt, milk, cheese, and more cheese.
In fact, in our house, it would be a disaster to run out of milk or yogurt.
We both have a great appetite for ice cream, although I prefer mine to be less sweet.
And we both have endless love for that brown, caramelized Norwegian cheese – it’s absolutely amazing.
One of our favorite summer treats is classic Danish koldskål.
As soon as the warmer weather arrives, we can’t get enough of this magical summer brew.
Flavored with sugar, lemon, and vanilla, it’s a delicious blend of cultured buttermilk and creamy yogurt.
On a hot summer day, it’s the perfect way to cool off.
I like to use homemade rhubarb syrup as a sweetener for a seasonal twist.
It adds lovely flavors that pair perfectly with fresh summer berries.
You could also make a rhubarb compote and add a scoop of that along with a scoop of ice cream for a great, light summer dessert.
I hope you’ll try this Danish summer specialty.
It’s amazing, addictive, and just might be the best koldskål you’ve ever had!
Danish Buttermilk & Rhubarb Summer Bowl
- 100 g sugar
- 550 g rhubarbs
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 ml water
Summer buttermilk bowl
- 500 ml buttermilk cultured
- 500 ml semi thick cultured yoghurt with 1,5-3,5 % fat
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 g rhubarb syrup this can be replaced with regular sugar around 50-75 g
- 1/2 vanilla pod scraped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Zest from 1/2 organic lemon
- Fresh strawberries & raspberries
- Granola, try this
- Bran flakes
Make the rhubarb syrup
- Rinse and clean the rhubarbs and cut them in smaller chunks. Add them in a pot together with the water and bring into a boil. Let it simmer under a lid for about 15-20 min until completely tender and mushy. Run everything through a fine strainer into a bowl and let it drip of for 15 min or more.
- Rinse the pot and add the rhubarb juice and sugar. Let it slowly simmer until it is reduced into a thin syrup. Remove from heat and pour the syrup into a bottle or a jar and store in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
Make the summer buttermilk bowl
- Scrape out the vanilla beans from the pod. Add 1 Tbsp of sugar and mash the vanilla beans into the sugar. This will prevent the vanilla beans from clumping together.
- In a bowl whisk together egg yolk, syrup and vanilla sugar. When foamy add the rest of the ingredients and whisk again. Adjust sweetness with rhubarb syrup or more sugar.
- Serve the buttermilk bowl with fresh berries and granola or bran flakes.
- If you want to serve it as a dessert you can crumble in almond or whole meal biscuits together with the fresh berries. And even a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra creamy thickness.