Life is too short to miss out on hot dogs, right?
That’s why this week’s recipe is all about making a delicious and healthy alternative to the classic hot dog.
When it comes to hot dogs, the sausage is the star of the show.
I always go for the one with the highest meat content and organic ones with added ingredients like wild garlic, leeks, sun-dried tomatoes, or herbs.
But let’s not forget the co-star, the bread. I like to use flatbread, like the recipe I shared a few weeks ago, but you can also wrap it in lettuce or cabbage leaves for a lighter alternative.
Dressing up a hot dog is half the fun.
Ketchup is a must. I love using pickled things like my homemade pickled cabbage.
I also like to use remoulade, a classic Danish dipping sauce that is full of flavor and adds a pickled tang to the hot dog. I like making them myself, which is healthier than buying them.
So fire up the grill. Grab a cold drink and enjoy a delicious and healthy hot dog.
For summer, football games, or just because, it’s the perfect meal.
Grain Free Hotdogs
Danish Remoulade – a national pickled dip/topping
- 1½ dl créme fraiche/yoghurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 apple grated, coarsely chopped or chopped into tiny cubes
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp white wine vinega
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
Pickled Cabbage – Adapted from Louisa Lorang
- 1 pointy cabbage or 1/2 little white cabbage
- 2 cup egular vinegar used to pickle food
- 3/4 cup regular sugar or sweetener of your choice approx. 2 dl
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large airtight jar that can contain your cabbage 1,5-2L preferable.
- 1 portion of Vegetable Flatbreads
- 8 quality sausages with a high content of meat I used Aalbæk’s øko grill pølser
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 portion of Quick Pickled Red Onion
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Your favourite tomato ketchup
- Make the pickled cabbage, this can be done days ahead. Roast fennel seeds in a pot. Add vinegar, sugar and chill flakes and let it simmer until all the sugar has been dissolved. Remove the outer leaves and stalk of the cabbage.
- Use a sharp knife to finely slice the cabbage. Add as much cabbage as possible in the jar, it is okay to squeeze a bit. Pour the hot liquid over the cabbage and add the lit tightly. Gently shake the jar to soak all cabbage in vinegar. This can be done every 15 min until the cabbage start collapsing a bit.
- Make the remoulade. Start by mixing creme fraiche, mayonnaise, mustard, curry, turmeric, sugar and vinegar. Add the remaining ingredients and mix all of it together. Use vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to season to taste.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients. Fry or grill the sausages and heat the flatbreads. Then serve the hotdogs as a pick and mix your own food. Add all things to the table and eat while you make your own delicious versions of grain free super hotdogs. Start with the bread, a lettuce leave then the sausage and top with the ingredients you prefer.