As you might know, I’m already a fan of both classic pizza and cauliflower crust pizza, so I’m always up for trying new favorites.
We’ve been making a kind of “opposite” pizza, called “meatza,” where a thin, flavorful meat crust is loaded with pesto and veggies. But the one that really stole my heart was this green and groovy miracle pizza. It has the most magical combination of all our favorite pizza toppings.
I’ve been making this broccoli crust for pizza quite a few times now, and I’ve discovered that you get a great result just by adding vegetables (in this case, broccoli and onions), eggs, and psyllium husk. It’s so easy, and I love the fact that you can leave out the cheese and instead load the pizza with all kinds of delicious, greasy toppings.
When it came time to take pictures of this beautiful pizza, I, unfortunately, realized that I had forgotten to add the creamy goat’s cheese. But no worries, it was added as soon as it was time to eat. Unfortunately, it resulted in cheese-less pictures, but you can add any toppings you prefer as long as they’re not too wet, otherwise, they’ll soak the crust. I would recommend giving our combination a try – it’s simply amazing. There’s just something about those artichokes combined with the creamy goat’s cheese that makes flavor explosions in your mouth.
So, if you’re up for another grain-free pizza, looking to sneak in some veggies for that man of yours, feel like using your juice pulp and minimizing your food waste, or are simply too curious to let this recipe pass you by, I welcome you to the world of green and groovy pizzas. Happy cooking!
Green & Groovy Pizza w. Broccoli Crust
- 1 small organic broccoli head, divided in small florets (or 2-3 cups or organic vegetable pulp)
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp husk
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh pepper
- 1 aubergine
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
- 10 slices your favourit salami or smoked ham optional
- 1 glass artichoke hearts in oil drained
- 100 g creamy goats cheese
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes in halves
- Fresh green leaves (eg. spinach or arugula)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 200 °C / 400 °F. In a food processor combine onions, broccoli, garlic for the base and pulse until finely chopped (alternatively grate broccoli and onions by hand). Add egg, psyllium husk and season and pulse until combine. Set a side.
- Now make the roasted aubergines, by slicing them into thin slices (0,5 cm). Place on a lined baking stone, brush with oil, season and bake in the oven for approximately 15 or until golden and tender. Set a side to cool.
- Pour the broccoli base onto a lined baking stone. Gently use a spatula to divide out the mixture until you have an even green pizza crust. Make sure the edge is slightly thicker than the rest of the crust to avoid burning. Bake in the oven for 15 min.
- Make the garlic oil by combining everything in a blender/food processor and pulse until you have a lovely strong oil – pour into a bowl or glass.
- When the crust has baked it’s time to add the topping. Start with spreading out a thin layer of tomato paste. Then add the aubergines, ham, onions, tomatoes and artichokes. Place the pizza back in the oven for additional 5-10 min.
- Top the pizza with fresh leaves and creamy goats cheese, and serve the pizza hot with olive oil on the side… Enjoy.