Eating good, nutritious food is something that I truly value and it’s important to me that I always have a satisfying meal to look forward to.
However, when you’re constantly on the go, it can be difficult to find a cheap and delicious meal to take with you.
One of my go-to lunch box meals is this delicious winter salad. It’s packed with my favorite winter vegetables: pomegranate, root veggies, and kale. To add some creaminess and flavor, I also include avocado and feta cheese and top it off with some toasted seeds.
The combination of textures and flavors is perfect and it stays fresh for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Plus, it’s easy to switch up the ingredients and make a different salad every day.
You can change the root veggies, add in pumpkin or roasted eggplant, and even switch up the seeds or nuts.
You can also make it vegan by substituting feta cheese for tofu.
This salad is a great way to get in your daily dose of nutrients, and it’s perfect for when you’re on the go. It’s a delicious and satisfying meal that you’ll love and appreciate for making it. So, give it a try and enjoy!
Hearty Winter Salad
- 1 kg root vegetables eg. parsnip, sweet potatoes, celeriac or even pumpkin
- 150 g kale washed and chopped
- 1 pomegranate
- 150 g feta cheese
- 2 avocados
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fennel seeds chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12 tsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC/400 ºF, with fan. Wash your root vegetables, peel if necessary, and chop into smaller pieces. Place on one or two pieces of parchment paper. Add olive oil, honey, fennel seeds, salt and pepper and toss everything together. Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 min, until golden and tender. Remove and let cool.
- Stir together vinaigrette, season to taste. Add the kale in a large bowl and pour in the vinaigrette and use your hands to massage the vinaigrette into the kale for a couple of minutes.
- Cut open avocado, remove store, scoop out the meat and cut into smaller cubes. Add the avocado to the kale along with crumbled feta and pomegranate seeds.
- Heat a skillet, add the pumpkin seeds and a little sprinkle of salt and toast until golden.
- Gently mix in the roasted roots and top the salad with toasted pumpkin seeds