Today, I want to talk about one of my recent food discoveries – Caesar salad.
I know, I know, it’s not exactly a new or exotic dish but bear with me. I’ve had Caesar salad before, and while it was always okay, it never really blew me away. That is until I visited a French bistro in Aarhus and had the most delicious Caesar salad I’ve ever had.
Of course, I couldn’t just leave it at that. I had to try and replicate that amazing salad at home. So, I did some experimenting and googling and came up with my own version of the Caesar salad. I used some Nordic seasonal ingredients, elements from the salad I fell in love with, and classic Caesar salad elements.
I also made a healthier yet still tasty dressing that I’ve been using on other greens too. I also switched up the classic white croutons for more flavorful and crunchy rye bread croutons. And, inspired by the French bistro, I added dried cranberries and thinly sliced pears. And let me tell you, it’s absolutely delicious and perfect when paired with chicken and crispy greens.
I have to say, I am even more in love with my own version of the Caesar salad than I was before and I’ve made it quite a few times since my first try. And if there’s one thing I’m looking forward to when I come home, it’s making this salad again!
So, if you’re a Caesar salad fan, give my version a try and let me know what you think!
Lean Caesar Salad
- 2 crispy heads of heart salad or use romaine
- 2 chicken breast around 300 g
- 2 slices of serrano ham
- A handful of dried cranberries
- A handful of hazelnuts
- A handful of large parmesan flakes
- 1.5 thick slice rye bread or wholegrain sourdough
- A generous splash of oil
- Salt & pepper
Vanilla & honey marinated pears
- 1 crispy pear preferable conference
- 2 tbsp pear, apple or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground vanilla
Caesar salad super dressing
- 75 ml plain yoghurt or creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 30 g grated parmesan
- 1/2 lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Worchester sauce
- 2 anchovies filets
- 1 small or ½ clove of garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 175 ºC/350 ºF. Roast hazelnuts for 7-10 min until golden. When cooled rub the slightly burned skin of and coarsely chop the nuts
- Whip up the marinate for the pears, thinly slice the pears and let them soak in the marinate until you need them.Tear or chop the bread into chunks. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper give a toss and bake in the oven for 10-15 min until they smell lovely and begin to get crispy.
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a blender and pulse until you have a creamy dressing season to taste.Fry chicken in splash of oil or butter until golden, season with a bit of salt and pepper. Tear the done chicken into chunks. Use the pan to fry the serrano ham crips, and tear into smaller pieces as well.
- Prepare the salad by washing the heart salad thoroughly in cold water and pat dry, tear the salad into larger pieces and place into two bowls. Add chicken, cranberries, serrano, pears and top with croutons, hazelnuts and a generous drizzle of dressing