I have always loved LOVED ice cream. It is my absolut number one sweet treat, maybe only challenged by cake, but well combine the two and I’m straight on my way to dessert-heaven.
Today I want to talk to you about something that is very close to my heart: ice cream.
I’m absolutely in love with this sweet treat, and it’s always been my go-to dessert.
But as you all know, traditional ice cream can be pretty heavy and not always the best choice for our health.
I’m so excited to share my new discovery with you: Banana ICE CREAM, also known as “Nice Cream”!
I stumbled upon the magic of Nice Cream last year. I’ve been hooked ever since.
I’ve been experimenting with different flavors, add-ins, and textures, and I have to say, I’m in love.
Not only can you make different flavors of Nice Cream that mimic traditional ice cream, but you can also make ice cream sandwiches with homemade cookies.
And let me tell you, they are the perfect sweet treat – the perfect combination of cake and ice cream.
I’ve tried making ice cream sandwiches with store-bought digestive cookies, but they’re not the most nutritious choice, not even the whole-grain version.
So I’ve been experimenting with different homemade cookies.
I’ve already posted some cookie recipes on my blog that you can check out, but for this recipe, I adapted a recipe from GKS and they were delicious.
My favorite versions of Nice Cream so far are Dark Chocolate & Choco-Mint, but if summer berries are in season, try a berry version.
Trust me, you won’t regret it. So give Nice Cream a try and let me know what you think.
I can’t wait to hear about your favorite flavor combinations!
- 190 g oats
- 100 g honey
- 100 g butter coconut oil, melted
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 4-5 ripe frozen bananas peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 100 ml milk
- Use ½ portion of Nice cream and blend with:
Mint & Chocolate Chip
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 20 g chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Nibs
Berry & Lemon
- 100 g fresh berries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp coffee beans
Cardamom & Orange
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Juice from 1/2 orange + 1 tsp zest
- 50 ml Kahlua
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 50 g toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 175ºC/350ºF. Mix all of the ingredients together. On two lined baking sheets spoon out 1 tbsp of batter and use your fingers or spoon to flatten the batter out into a round thin cookie. Repeat with the remaining batter until you have around 20 cookies. Bake in the oven for 12-15 min, set a side to cool.
- Freeze the peeled and sliced bananas at least 4-5 hours before making the nice cream. Use a really good blender or preferable a food processor. Add frozen bananas and vanilla, blend on high speed. First it will get crumbly and you might need to scrape down the sides. Keep blending until it slowly starts to assemble. Add a little liquid at the time to help the texture become creamy, but hold back and use as little as possible. (Note; if making a variation with liquid in, replace some of the milk with the juice/kahlua).
- Place the nice cream in the freezer for 30-60 min, just to make it a little firmer. Add a dollop of nice to half of the biscuits and top with another one. Serve/eat the sandwiches straight away – or wrap them in cling wrap and store in the freezer for another time.