Today I want to share a recipe for a flavorful dish that has quickly become one of my favorites.
It’s a simple yet delicious combination of baked tomatoes, mozzarella, and a few special touches that take it to the next level.
The secret to this dish’s unique and complete flavor is that half of the tomatoes are baked in the oven.
This brings out all of the natural sweetness and umami the tomatoes offer.
But we don’t stop there. We also add a drizzle of red wine balsamic vinegar, which provides the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity.
And I finish with basil and garlic oil to round out the flavors.
The result is a perfectly balanced dish. The creamy, round mozzarella contrasts perfectly with the fresh, juicy tomatoes.
And the best part?
It’s easy to make but packs a punch of flavor that will impress even the pickiest of eaters.
Simple Tomato Salad
- 1 kg mixed tomatoes (cherry & heirloom, preferable)
- 200 g fresh good mozzarella
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup capers
- Olive oil
- Red wine balsamic
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper
Garlic & basil oil
- 0.5 cup good olive oil preferably one with a nutty and mild flavor
- A generous handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2.5 cloves of garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F/ 175 °C
- Cut the tomatoes in halves. On a baking sheet mix half of the tomatoes with honey, 1 Tbsp balsamic, 1 Tbsp olive oil salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour. Set a side and cool.
- Prepare the basil & garlic oil by adding all ingredients to a blender, and adjust the taste with salt & pepper
- Fry capers in 1 tsp olive oil for a few minutes, set a side to cool.
- In a bowl mix the rest of the fresh tomatoes with a few tablespoons of balsamic, garlic & basil oil and mozzarella torn in pieces. Add capers, baked tomatoes and fresh basil leaves and adjust the taste with balsamic, oil, salt and pepper.
Serve as a starter/lunch with bread or as a side dish, Enjoy!
Calories: 19kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.04g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.04g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.3mg