In Denmark, we have a long-standing love affair with a very special, yet simple, type of food.
Most Danish children grow up eating it, and many of us continue to enjoy it for lunch throughout our entire lives. It’s not too long ago that a new rival (the sandwich) threatened to take its place, but despite the competition, our beloved open-faced rye sandwich is still going strong.
Rye bread is a staple here in Denmark, and we adore it. We believe that you almost can’t live without it. And I must admit, nothing beats a toasted piece of rye slathered with cold butter and salt, or with ripe avocado. But it’s not all about the bread.
I have a thing for certain fillings too, like the egg salad I’ve shared here on the blog before. Today, I want to share a recipe for a creamy chicken and apple salad. It’s filled with flavor and yet very mild and simple. The seasonal apples add a perfectly crisp texture and give the creamy dish a lighter touch.
Traditionally, mushrooms are added as a part of the chicken salad, but I just love fried mushrooms, and they add a lighter touch when used as a topping instead of a filling.
The pomegranate explodes with sweetness and a little acidity and makes the dish look so beautiful! You can, of course, use whatever bread you have on hand, or even grab a big bowl of crispy lettuce and top it with dollops of chicken salad.
Open Face Rye Sandwich
- 400 g chicken breast
- 1 red apple
- 2 generous handfuls of herbs parsley, thyme and/or cress
- 150 g creme fraiche
- 25 g mayonaise
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp applecider vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Fresh pepper
- 300 g mixed mushrooms brushed and cleaned
- Butter & oil
- Fresh thyme
- 4-8 pieces of ryebread, or another type of bread
- Crispy lettuce
- Heat a skillet. Add a little butter/oil and fry the chicken until golden and well done. Set a side.
- Add a little extra fat and fry the mushrooms. Place them in the skillet and let them be (NO STIRRING) turn them after a couple of minutes and fry on the other side. Remove when golden and delicious.
- In a large bowl stir together creme fraiche, mayonnaise, Worcester sauce, vinegar, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Season to taste. Finely slice apple and chop herbs. Add both to the bowl. Tear up the chicken breast and mix everything well together.
- Assemble the open sandwich by taking a piece of bread, add a lettuce leave, a generous portion of chicken salad and top with fried mushrooms and pomegranate.