As spring approaches, my cravings for fresh, light meals increase. I love experimenting with new ingredients and flavors, and salads are a staple on my menu.
I recently spent some time at my home in Aarhus with my partner, where we worked on some new recipes for the blog and also focused on a more practical approach to cooking.
We prepped all our vegetables at the beginning of the week, grating root vegetables, chopping cabbage, peeling and slicing carrots, etc. This allowed us to quickly whip up a meal whenever we wanted without spending too much time in the kitchen, and it also ensured that we ate a lot of vegetables.
One of the delicious dishes we made was a parsley-flavored hummus served with crispy butter-toasted rye crackers. It was perfect as a light lunch, but we also used the hummus to add flavor to the salads and vegetables we had prepared earlier in the week.
I love classic hummus, but I often find that the addition of an extra ingredient makes it even more delicious. I’ve made curried hummus before based on one I bought at my local health food shop, but for this recipe, I wanted to stay light and fresh.
The parsley and spinach add a nice burst of flavor, and the hummus is easy to make and stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week. I don’t like it when it gets too oily and heavy, so I don’t add too much oil and use water to thin it.
The crackers are also incredibly easy to make and stay fresh for a long time, making them the perfect snack.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Parsley Hummus w. Crispy Butter
- 550 g cooked chickpeas
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ cup water
- A large bundle of parsley
- 2-3 handfulls of spinach optional, but gives a wonderful colour
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Fresh ground pepper
- 7 pieces very thinly slices rye bread
- Butter or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200ºC / 400ºF. Slice rye bread into very thin slices. Brush them with oil, or spread out a layer of butter, and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Cut into preferred pieces and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 min or until golden and crisp.
- Use a blender or foodprocessor to make the hummus. Add all of the ingredients to the machine and blend until you have a creamy texture, season to taste.