Today I want to share a recipe that will change how you think about chocolate for breakfast.
Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Chocolate for breakfast? Isn’t that a little indulgent?”
Well, hear me out.
This recipe is perfect for those days when you’ve had an early workout and are craving something sweet or a warm and sunny day that screams a little indulgence.
And even if you don’t like chocolate in the morning, try it as an afternoon snack or dessert, or add it to your brunch spread – trust me, it will be a hit!
After experimenting with oatmeal variations such as chia seeds, nuts, chocolate milk, and cacao nibs, I found the perfect, budget-friendly recipe. All you need is rolled oats, flaxseed, cocoa, milk, and fruit.
All you have to do is soak the rolled grains, flax seeds, and milk overnight or for a few hours, then blend everything in the morning until it’s smooth and creamy.
Serve with fresh fruit; if you’re feeling fancy, top with toasted coconut flakes or nuts.
If chocolate isn’t your thing, leave it out and add spices like cardamom and vanilla for a raw fruit pudding.
You can make a big batch and enjoy it all week long because this porridge will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Just grab a serving from the fridge, add some fresh fruit, and you’re ready to go. No more boring breakfasts for you!
Raw Chocolate Porridge
- 100 g rolled grains I used half barley half oats
- 250 ml milk
- 20 g flax seed
- 15 g raw cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 sweet apple
- Fresh fruit as; mango, berries, banana and sweet grapes
- Roasted nuts
- Roasted coconut flakes
- The night before mix rolled grains with milk and flax seeds in an air tight container and let it soak in the fridge overnight, or at least for a couple of hours
- In the morning add banana, apple and cocoa to the soaked grain mix and blend it until it has a smooth and creamy porridge texture.
- Serve the porridge topped with fresh fruit and maybe a sprinkle of nuts and coconut flakes