When it comes to breakfast, I love eggs and find that avocado and beans are the perfect sidekicks.
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this recipe is a variation of a dish I’ve made many times before. It’s packed with flavor.
Warm spices, chili, goat cheese, and herbs all come together.
This savory option is definitely the way to go if you’re looking for a masculine alternative to last week’s sweet breakfast bowl.
So, if you’re feeling adventurous, go ahead and try this “Gentleman’s Bowl” and let me know which one you prefer!
Breakfast Bowl w. Sweet Potatoes, Beans & Eggs
- 500 g sweet potato, in cubes (keep the peel on, and just scrub thoroughly)
- 250 g cooked black beans (approx 100 g dried) (approx 100 g dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- Sea salt
- 4-8 eggs
- 2 avocados
- 100 g goats cheese or another soft creamy cheese
- Fresh herbs
- Cook your beans according to the label or use beans from a can.
- In a bowl combine sweet potato, broth, spices and garlic. Heat to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let it simmer for 5 min under a lit. Remove the lit and add beans and tomato paste, let it simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is nice and creamy. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile make the poached eggs. Bring water with a little salt and a splash of vinegar into a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Crack the eggs into ramekins or small bowls and gently drop them into the water, you can use a spoon to fold the egg together if it swirls a bit too much around. I only make 2 eggs at a time. Let them cook in the water for 3-4 min and use a spoon to remove them from the water.
- Arrange the potato and bean stew in bowl and top wit half an avocado, goats cheese, one or two eggs and a sprinkle of herbs and a splash of tabasco.