While visiting my parents last week, I decided to make a delicious, warm, and loving meal to share with the women in my life.
My niece has been obsessed with these slow-roasted carrots that her dad makes, and being the ambitious aunt that I am, of course, I snuck the recipe out of him.
These carrots could easily be a side dish on their own because they are so aromatic, full of flavor, and have the most fabulous soft, moist texture.
But I tossed them with perfect lentils, my beloved goat cheese, nuts, and herbs to add even more nutrition and filling.
In the end, it was one of the most complete and delicious meals I’ve had in a long time, and it will definitely be a springtime favorite.
The carrots just sit in the oven by themselves while the lentils cook, so it’s super easy to make.
And then you use all the flavor and juices left in the pan from roasting the carrots to flavor the lentils!
The next time the girls come over for dinner, I can’t wait to make this again.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do!
Let me know if you try it.
Slow Roasted Carrots with Lentils, Nuts & Goats Cheese
- 500 g small crispy carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 100 g goats cheese
- A handful nuts
- 1 cup green lentils + water & broth
- 1 tbsp sweet balsamic e.g.. date balsamic
- Fresh lemon thyme or another fresh herb
- Preheat oven to 300 °F/ 150 °C (no fan).
- Use an oven proof skillet or any pan/tray you can use on your stove afterwards. Mix carrots with oil, honey, salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 45-60 min, until tender and golden.
- While the carrots roast you cook your lentils. Add them with the water (and broth if you prefer) in a pot. Bring to a boil and let them simmer for 30-40 min, until the lentils start cracking down the sides. Drain and set a side to cool.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in the 1 Tbsp water and add it to the carrots, mix well. Increase temperature in the oven to 400 °F/ 200 °C and bake the carrots additional 10-15 min, until they are perfectly golden and glazed.
- Remove the skillet/pan from the oven and gently transfer the carrots to a serving platter. Put the skillet/pan on your stove on high heat. Add the lentil and balsamic and maybe a knob of extra butter. Fry the lentils for 5 min until they are slightly caramelized and taste delicious. Season to taste.
- Pour the lentils on top of the carrots and dress it with chunks of goats cheese, roasted chopped nuts and fresh thyme. Serve straight away!