I’ve been playing around with using chickpeas in my baking and I have to say, I’m a huge fan. Chickpeas allow me to skip refined flour and fat while still having a moist cake that’s loaded with protein and filling carbohydrates.
This time around, I wanted to make a batch of muffins with one of my favorite combinations: white chocolate and berries. It’s the kind of cake that melts in your mouth and makes you want to eat them all. But, the best part is that you can eat them all without flipping your energy balance upside down.
These muffins only contain 100 calories each (including the white chocolate!), so if you slip and devour the whole batch, you can still have dinner without feeling guilty.
When I’m baking with beans, I always add lots of delicious ingredients to boost the flavor and fill the cake with aroma. These muffins are flavored with lemon zest, vanilla, cardamom, and sweet, aromatic Danish strawberries.
I had originally planned on using raspberries, but when I saw these beauties (the first Danish strawberries grown in a greenhouse), I knew I had to include them in my muffins. They were the perfect fit with lemon, vanilla, and white chocolate. Yum!
I’ve received so much wonderful feedback on the bean cakes I’ve posted on my blog already, so I truly hope that this recipe will win over your taste buds once again and fill you up with summer and sunshine.
Strawberry Muffins w. White Chocolate & Chickpeas
- 240 g cooked soaked and cooked chickpeas
- 3 medium/large eggs
- 75 g honey
- 150 g fresh strawberries
- 50 g white chocolate
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla beans from 1 pod or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 °F/175 °C
- Use a blender to make the batter. Add everything besides chocolate and strawberries and blend until you have a creamy and liquid batter. Transfer into a bowl.
- Wash and rinse strawberries and slice them into smaller pieces. Roughly chop the white chocolate and add both ingredients to the batter and give it a stir.
- Divide batter into muffin cups and bake in the oven for 25 min. Remove the muffins from the oven and set a side to cool until they seem firm.
- Enjoy the muffins as a part of your breakfast, a snack or serve it with a scoop of vanilla or coconut ice cream as a dessert.