Hello fellow foodies!
I have a delicious recipe to share with you today that I know you’re going to love.
I recently stuffed some flounder fillets with parsley and mustard and paired them with a bed of oven-roasted eggplant, capers, and pomegranate.
Let me tell you: The capers add a perfect salty note, and the pomegranate adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Originally, I was going to use ripe cherries, but since they’re not in season, I decided to use pomegranates as an alternative.
Now, pomegranates can be a bit more acidic than other fruits, so to balance that out, I suggest using honey mustard in the flounder or even drizzling a little honey vinaigrette on top. (Recipe.)
This dish is a delicious combination of flavors and textures. It will make your taste buds sing.
Go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think!
Mustard & Herbed Stuffed Plaice
- 4-6 european plaice filets cleaned and rinsed
- 1-2 tbsp whole mustard you can use honey mustard as well
- Half a bunch of flat leaved parsley
- 50 g rye flour
- Oil and butter
Roasted aubergine salad
- 2 aubergines
- 4 tbsp capers
- ½ small pomegranate or two handfuls ripe cherries
- 4 cloves garlic mashed
- Half a bunch flat leaved parsley
- Juice and zest from ½-1 organic lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp honey vinaigrette optional
- Preheat oven to 200 °C /400 °F.
- Dice the aubergines in around 1,5 cm x 1,5 cm (0,5 inch x 0,5 inch) cubes. On a lined baking sheet mix aubergine with 2-3 Tbsp oil, garlic, salt & pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Roast for 20 min or until golden and slightly brown in the edges set a side.
- In a bowl mix half of the chopped parsley with capers, pomegranate or cherries, lemon zest and juice. Add aubergine as well just before serving. Season to taste.
- Make sure the fresh filets are rinsed and cleaned from all dark spots. On half of the skin side add a bit of mustard (around ½ tsp) and a Tbsp chopped parsley and fold the fish on the middle, so that all the stuffing are inside the fish. Mix the rye flour with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan and add a Tbsp of butter and a Tbsp of oil. Roll the fish in rye flour so they are completely covered and place on the hot pan. They should have around 2-3 min on each side, until they are crispy and golden. If you are making these in two batches, make sure to wipe of the pan with some kitchen towel in between and add new oil and butter in order to avoid any burned leftover rye flour to transfer to the new batch.
- Place 2-3 filets on top of a portion aubergine salad. If you lack a little sweetness add a drizzle of honey vinaigrette.