I’m normally getting into my usual smoothie-lovin self when we are hitting spring and summer. But lately these cold and grey days have made me crave something filled with summer vibes and most of all something healthy, fresh and nutrient filled. It might be influenced by the fact that I love comfy and warm dishes for the rest of my meals, so here it seems wonderfully balanced when you start your day with a green nutrient packed bowl.
I must admit that sitting under a blanket with the rain pouring down outside eating a big bowl of green healthy ice-cream can seem somewhat contradictory BUT somehow I love it, especially enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee. But the problem can also easily be solved if you start your day with a work-out cause then it is a perfect breakfast regardless of the season.
Well it is safe to say that broccoli and spinach isn’t quite the seasonal autumn/winter produce. You can of course use kale and other leafy green seasonal substitutes but my favourite tip is actually as simple as buying lovely organic frozen products harvested and packed in their prime time. Frozen vegetables as spinach and broccoli are very cheap, even the organic versions, and the nutrients are kept safe and wonderful in the freezer. It is an amazing way to get cheap, organic and very healthy nutrients. Furthermore you actually get quite an impressive amount of fiber rich vegetables from this smoothie bowl totally hidden behind the ice-cream cover up and for me it is definitely one of the best ways to begin the day and make sure that my body gets what it needs and love.
My favourite topping is almond butter and toasted coconut flakes but you can use whatever you have in your cupboards.
The Healthiest Breakfast Ever – Green Veggie loaded Smoothie Bowl
Green veggie loaded smoothie bowl
- 1/2 large avocado
- A handful of frozen broccoli approx 65 g
- 100 g spinach frozen
- 160 g bananas frozen, peeled and chopped
- 300 ml milk or almond milk, regular milk or 50/50 water/coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- Juice from 1 organic lemon
- Nut butter
- Toasted coconut
- Freeze dried berries
- Add everything in a blender and pulse until you have a creamy soft ice textured smoothie. Pour into two bowl, add your selected topping and serve straight away.
- TIP: If your having guest for brunch or breakfast. Arrange the smoothie in bowls and store it in the freezer until serving. Stir it and add your toppings before serving.