It’s that time of year when one of my favorite vegetables is in abundance. And that vegetable is none other than kale!
I cannot get enough.
The color, texture, flavor, versatility, nutrition, and fiber are all amazing.
One of my favorite kale dishes is my Winter Christmas Salad. I posted that last year.
But today I want to talk about a new favorite I recently made when I had a ton of kale to use.
I’ve been making a lot of lunch boxes lately. I wanted to create something that would be great to put in one of them.
Dressings, creme fraiche, tapenade, cheese, pesto – anything that adds flavor and creaminess to my meals – have always been my favorite.
So I made a green and groovy pesto. It’s loaded with flavor, nutrients, fiber, and healthy fats.
This pesto is great for tossing into salads, egg dishes, dipping, and spreading on sandwiches.
Because it’s rich in flavor and nutrients, I think it pairs perfectly with a simple and delicious cheese and a few slices of fresh and juicy tomatoes.
If you like, you can add a few slices of egg or ham. It’s all about what’s in your fridge and what you’re in the mood for.
You can use rye bread, sourdough bread, or any kind of bread you like.
I’ve also been making a lot of focaccia lately. I’ve been adding different toppings like olives, herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and seeds.
It’s perfect for tapas, soup, and sandwiches.
Rich in cottage cheese and eggs, it is made with ground almonds and seeds (grain-free flour).
It’s gluten-free and grain-free, and I love the fact that it keeps me full for hours on end and has a minimal impact on my blood sugar.
I think the combination of cheese, lemon, garlic, herbs, nuts, and vegetables is the perfect way to celebrate the wonderful kale and the intense natural flavors of this sandwich.
Give it a try. Let me know what you think!
Green & Grain Free Sandwich
- 6 leaves stems removed
- 75 g parsley
- 150 g olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- A chunk of firm cheese, grated
- 4 cloves garlic
- 30 roasted almonds
- Zest and juice from 1 organic lemon
Almond focaccia sandwich bread
- 1 dl almonds
- 1 dl seeds sunflower seeds, sesame seeds
- 150 g cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- a pinch of salt
- Fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Add-ins for the sandwich
- Slices of manchego
- Fresh tomatoes
- Add kale in a foodprocessor and blend until finely chopped. Add parsley and blend until it has same texture as the kale. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until everything is evenly combined and has a semi chunky texture. Keep blending until it becomes smooth and creamy (this could take a while), or keep the chancy texture if your prefer. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 175 °C /350 °F (no fan)
- Ground almonds and seeds in a foodprocessor or high speed blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and evenly combined.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking pan and bake for 10 min. Remove from the oven drizzle with oil, sea salt and gently press fresh rosemary stilks into the bread.
- Place back in the oven and finish baking for approximately 20 min.
Make the sandwich
- Slice the focaccia into four. If not fresh from the oven, slice it open and toast on both sides. Add 1-2 Tbsp of pesto, a few slices manchego and fresh tomatoes. Serve the sandwich straight away and enjoy!