This recipe has become a bit of a classic around here, and it’s the perfect dish to bring to any holiday dinner table. It’s simple, yet filled with delicious seasonal ingredients that make it a perfect complement to the rich and flavorful Christmas foods.
One of the main ingredients in this salad is kale, which is a fantastic vegetable that is packed with nutrients. However, I know that some people may be hesitant to try it because it can be quite coarse and difficult to chew.
That’s why I’ve made sure to chop the kale very thoroughly in this recipe, making it much easier to enjoy.
Another key ingredient in this salad is pomegranate, which is a must-have in any winter salad, dessert, or breakfast. And, of course, we can’t forget about the apples, which are a perfect match for the pomegranate. The almonds in this recipe have also been dressed up a bit by gently roasting them in a pan with honey and balsamic, giving them an extra layer of flavor and aroma.
I know that it may be a bit too late to serve this salad on Christmas Eve, but don’t worry!
It’s perfect to enjoy any day of the year as long as the kale and pomegranate are in season. And, since it’s low in calories and packed with healthy ingredients, it’s a great way to enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal while trying to lose those extra Christmas pounds.
So, give this salad a try, and let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Winter Salad w. Kale & Pomegranate
Winter salad w. kale & pomegranate
- 250 g big leaves of kale
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 apples
- 100 g almonds
- 2 tbsp red wine balsamic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp red wine balsamic or a cherry vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
- Heat a pan and dry roast the almonds for 1-2 minutes. Add the balsamic and as soon as it is gone add the honey and stir for 1 minute. Transfer almonds to a baking shed and let them cool. Afterwards chop them coarsely.
- Wash and dry the kale. Remove the stems and use a food processor or mini chopper to chop the kale into a very fine texture. You can use a sharp knife.
- Prepare the pomegranate and cut the apple into thin boats and mix all of it it with the kale.
- Make the dressing by stirring everything thoroughly together and season to taste (The balsamics can vary a bit in sweetness and flavour so make sure you adjust the amount you use according to your own balsamic).
- Stir everything together and serve. This salad is great the next day and even the day after that.