This recipe has been on my mind for a while now, and I finally got a chance to try it out with a group of friends this weekend.
And let me tell you: It was a hit!
Everyone loved it so much.
It’s an easy dish to make if you have a julienne peeler or other tool to turn your zucchini into spaghetti.
And it’s perfect for those of us on special diets.
It’s low in carbohydrates, high in healthy fats, and Paleo-friendly.
Leave out the serrano ham and add avocado if you want to make it vegetarian or vegan.
Leave the walnuts unroasted and keep the zucchini out of the boiling water if you want to go 100% raw.
The pesto is a real highlight of this dish. It’s easy to make and can be adjusted to your taste.
I used 1.5 medium-hot chiles, but next time I might use two.
I always toast the nuts for more flavor and use olive oil for its health benefits and delicious nutty flavor.
The sun-dried tomatoes add a little extra umami. You can add more if you like your pesto sweeter.
All in all, this pesto is an explosion of flavor that is the perfect complement to fresh, watery zucchini.
It can also be used as a dipping sauce, spread, or pasta sauce because it can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
It was the perfect lunch for four, served with sliced avocado and a soft-boiled egg.
It filled us up without weighing us down, and the fresh figs were the perfect complement to the salty serrano and spicy pesto.
I hope you all try this recipe. Let me know what you think!
Happy cooking to you!
Zucchini Spaghetti w. Walnut & Chili Pesto
- 100 G walnuts
- 1/3 CUP olive oil (75 ml)
- 3 sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 fresh red medium hot chillis, seeds removed
- 4 fresh red medium hot chillis, seeds removed
- 3 organic zucchinis, depending on size
- Boiling water
- Zest and juice from 1/2 organic lemon
- 100 G serrano ham, fried until crispy
- 2 fresh figs, in cubes
- Options for a more filling dish: Avocado or eggs with a runny yolks
- Preheat oven to 300 °F/150 °C. Roast the walnuts until golden 10-15 min.
- Use a food processor or high speed blender to blend chili, dried tomatoes, olive oil, a pinch of salt and garlic until smooth. Add the roasted walnuts and pulse until you have a chunky pesto and season to taste.
- Use a julienne peeler to make zucchini spaghetti. Finely chop the soft core of the zucchini and mix it with the rest of the spaghetti. Cover the spaghetti with boiling water for 2-3 min and drain. Mix the spaghetti with the lemon zest and juice.
- Stir in all of the walnut and chilli pesto. Gently mix it with fresh figs and crispy serrano. If you are very hungry serve it with some slices of avocado and a soft boiled egg. Enjoy.