I have been searching high and low for a carrot cake that is both healthy and delicious, and I have finally found it!
There’s a lot of talk about carrot cake being a healthier option, but in my opinion, that’s not always the case.
Most recipes have just a little bit of carrot thrown in with lots of brown sugar, refined flour, and butter or oil. Yuck!
But this recipe, oh this recipe!
It has a deep, spicy, aromatic flavor that’s just irresistible.
The carrots, bananas, and dates provide a natural sweetness, while the whole-wheat flour and a small amount of vegetable oil keep it moist.
And the chunks of coconut and walnuts add a rich texture that can’t be beaten!
I’ve made this cake a dozen times and it always gets two thumbs up from my grandpa.
He even says it’s good for his digestion!
And if you’re like me and love cream cheese frosting, I have a lighter alternative for you – Greek yogurt!
It’s just as delicious and the perfect addition to this healthy cake.
This cake is the perfect holiday treat with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
And who wouldn’t want a healthy alternative to a holiday cake, right?
So go ahead, give this recipe a try, I promise you won’t regret it…or maybe you will, but you won’t know until you try it!
- 3 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 15 fresh dates, pitted
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 4 carrots, medium size, grated
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Yoghurt & lemon frosting
- 1 cup greek yoghurt (2% or 10%)
- 3 tbsp Honey agave or a fruit syrup
- Zest and juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 °F/175 °C .
- Blend banana and soft dates into a creamy mousse. Add eggs, spices, oil and baking soda and mix together. Then add the grated carrots, coconut flakes and walnut. And at last the flour and makes sure everything is well combined.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin tins and place them i the oven for 25 minutes. (If you make it in a cake pan, it should be baked for 40 min).
- Meanwhile, mix all of the ingredients for the frosting, and adjust taste with sweetener of your choice and lemon.
- When done, set a side to cool before removing them from the tins.