I absolutely love them, especially when they’re homemade and filled with delicious and healthy ingredients.
I made a double batch of these and have been stocking our freezer with them.
They’re perfect for a quick and filling snack, to bring to the hospital, or even to pack in a lunch box.
The rolls are actually pretty easy to make, but they do require some time. That’s why I almost always make a double batch and freeze most of them.
But, trust me, it’s worth it.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Sausage Rolls filled with Carrot, Seeds, Whole Grains AND ketchup!!
Servings 20 rolls
- 150 ml milk
- 250 ml water
- 25 g active yeast
- 2 large carrots grated
- 40 g sunflower seeds
- 25 g flaxseeds extra for topping
- 25 g sesame seeds
- 50 g rolled oats
- 300 g whole flower
- 300 g refined flower
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 10 sausages divided into 2
- 1 egg for brushing
- Mix water, milk, yeast and salt. Stir until the yeast is dissolved. Add seeds, grated carrot, salt, honey and rolled oats and stir well together. At last add the flower, hold back a little, and start kneading the dough on a flour surface, while adding the rest of the flour during the process until you have a moist dough that does not stick to the surface of the table. Place the dough back in the bowl at let it sit a warm place for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into two, and roll out each portion into a large circle. Cut each circle into 10 slices (like a pizza). Spread around 1 tsp of ketchup onto each slice (I might have used more, cause I love ketchup). Place a sausage in the widest edge of the slice, tuck in the sides around the sausage, and roll the sausage forward, covering it in the rest of the dough.
- Let the finished rolls sit for 30 min. Brush the rolls with a whisked egg and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Heat the oven to 225ºC/425ºF – and bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes.
- The rolls are wonderful warm straight from the oven, in the lunch box and freeze well too.
If you want visual instructions on how to roll, check it out here.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 57IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg