As the cold and dark season approaches, I find myself craving comfort food like warm stews, hearty soups, and hot pots.
There is something so satisfying about serving a meal in a big rustic pot, don’t you think?
Today I want to share a recipe for a delicious hot pot packed with flavor and so easy to make.
This hot pot explodes with flavor thanks to the chicken, vegetables, wine, and lentils that create a natural broth that cooks everything perfectly.
The tender chicken, melt-in-your-mouth vegetables, and juicy raisins add a hint of sweetness, while the crunchy almonds add a bit of wholesomeness.
This meal is perfect for busy times because all you have to do is combine the raw ingredients in a hot pot, pop it in the oven, and let it cook for about an hour and a half.
It will be a hit with everyone, even the little ones!
You can change the vegetables, herbs, and lentils to your liking and even try using white wine or apple cider for a lighter dish.
The flavor will still be intense and delicious, I promise.
So go ahead and try this hot pot recipe and let me know what you think.
It’s sure to become a staple in your cold-weather comfort food lineup.
Apple Stuffed Chicken
- 1 organic chicken
- 1 celeriac
- 2 big carrots
- 2 red onions
- 1 whole garlic
- ¾ cup beluga lentils
- 2 sweet apples
- 4-5 sprigs of rosemary
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 2 handfuls of raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ ground cumin
- 250 ml red wine
- 500-750 ml water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Juice and zest from 1 organic lemon (safe a few slices lemon)
- 2 tsp honey or sirup
- 1 tsp soya
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- ⅛ tsp hot chill powder
- Peel the celeriac and chop into small squares. Peel onion and cut into 1/8 boats. Break up the garlic, but keep on the peel. Chop carrots into smaller pieces.
- Place all the vegetables, lentils, raisin and nuts in a hotpot – use your hands to mix in cardamom, salt, cumin and fresh ground pepper.
- In a bowl stir together all ingredients for the marinade. Now your should try to loosen the skin of the chicken to get your marinade rub down underneath the skin. Use you hands to open op the skin from the neck, work your way down until you have loosened the skin around the entire chicken. pour down the marinade, and rub the chicken thoroughly so all the marinade is divide around inside the pocket of skin. Remove the core of the apples and chop them in chunks. Stuff the chicken with the apples and tie together the legs of the chicken to keep the apples inside.
- Place the chicken on top of all the veggies, place rosemary around and underneath the chicken, and gently pour in the red wine and fill up with water so that it touches the downside of the chicken. Finish with a drizzle of salt, fresh ground pepper and place a few lemon slices on and around the chicken. Put on the lid of the hot pot.
- Place the hot pot inside the cold oven. Turn on the oven at 250 ºC / 500 ºF. Roast for 1,5 hours.