I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.
And what better way to start the weekend than with a delicious burger?
I’ve always created a version free of grains and excess carbs. I was torn between making a light portobello bun (the feminine version) or a grain-free burger bun (the masculine counterpart).
I went with the feminine version this time, but if you’re looking for something more filling, I recommend using my grain-free focaccia bread recipe.
This burger screams summer, sun, and maybe even a margarita. I love how the mango pairs so well with the chicken and avocado, making it a unique and delicious alternative to a traditional beef burger. It’s also a very light meal since the “bun” is made entirely of vegetables and contains far less energy than a whole wheat bun.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do and have a weekend that rocks!
Open Faced Crispy Chicken Burger
- 4 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup ground almonds/almond meal
- Coconut oil or butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice from 1 lemon
- A pinch of chili
- Salt & pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms + oil, salt & pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and slices thinly
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves, e.g.
- Flat leaved parsley
- Warm a skillet on medium to high heat and add a knob of coconut oil or butter. Place the portobello mushrooms and fry on both sides until they are dark and tender, aprroximately 10-15 min. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice each chicken breast into two smaller, or keep it as one large. Mix almond flour with salt and pepper, mix, and coat each chicken breast in the mix. Heat coconut oil/butter in a pan and place the chicken. Fry until golden and cooked all the way through.
- Make your guacamole by scooping out the avocado flesh with a spoon and use a fork to mash it up with lemon juice and spices.
- Make your burger: Place a generous spoon of guacamole on the portobello bun, a lettuce leave, chicken, a spoon of mayo, red onions, mango and finish with more guacamole and some fresh flat leaved parsley.