Ready to take a culinary journey to the delicious world of Thai cuisine?
After my second visit to Thailand, I am even more convinced that it is one of my absolute favorite cuisines.
I am lucky enough to live near a well-assorted Thai store and that means that Thai and Vietnamese food is a regular staple in my household.
I love cooking up classic Thai dishes as best I can, with a little help from a cooking course I took a few years back and the memories of my taste buds. But, my favorite thing to do is to combine ingredients, flavors, and exotic add-ins to create my own unique versions of delicious Southeast Asian dishes.
One of my all-time favorites is a fresh and crunchy salad, and the Vietnamese noodle salad is a dish I make in all different ways very often. Another favorite of mine is fresh spring rolls and chicken satay, and this specific mango salad is a fusion of these three tropical dishes that I hold dear.
I used lovely Thai herbs and combined them with soft, mature mango and avocado.
The cabbage adds the perfect crunch, and the honey, lime, and fish sauce combine all the flavors of the ingredients with a touch of Thailand.
Instead of simple fried chicken, I wanted to make some delicious meatballs filled with flavors and a little bit of chili. And, of course, no chicken dish is complete without a creamy and irresistible peanut sauce.
It’s a very easy dish to prepare and if you’re feeling extra lazy, you can simply replace the meatballs with fried chicken.
I hope this recipe will take you on a delicious culinary journey and inspire you to try new and exciting Thai dishes.
Let me know in the comments what your favorite Thai dish is or if you have any questions about this recipe. Happy cooking!
Mango Salad with Chili Chicken Balls & Peanut Sauce – and a Competition
- 1 pointy cabbage or around half a head of white cabbage
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 bundle fresh basil
- 1 bundle fresh mint
- juice from 1 lime
- 1.5 tsp fishsauce
- 1 tsp honey
Chili chicken balls
- 500 g chicken meat minced
- 2-3 fresh chili
- 3 Spring onions
- 1/2 bundle fresh basil
- 1 small egg
- 1 tsp psyllium husk or 2-3 Tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp soya
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- A generous pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 fresh red chili remove seeds
- Juice from 1 lime
- Use a food processor (or knife) to finely chop spring onion, both white and all green part, and the chili including the seeds. Mix in the minced chicken along with all the remaining ingredients.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop up small balls of the chicken mix and fry the meatballs in a hot skillet until golden.In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce blend everything is blended into a creamy semi thin sauce. Season to taste and add more water if you think the texture is to thick.
- Finely chop the cabbage and place in a bowl. Add lime juice, fish sauce and honey and use your hands to squeeze the cabbage together and give it a little massage. Peel mango, remove the flesh from the stone and cut it into think slices. Remove stone from avocado, scoop out flesh and cut into smaller cubes. Chop mint and basil. Add everything to the bowl and gently mix.
- Divide the salad into four bowls, top with some meatballs and a drizzle of peanut sauce.