I must be honest with all of you: I am head over heels in love with Beluga Lentils. I have been completely won over by their deep black color, mild flavor, versatility, and ability to interact with other amazing ingredients.
Every time I saw a picture of them popping up on the foodie scene, I was curious about these little black gems. But now they’ve become a staple in my kitchen. And they’re easy to find in most supermarkets.
Sure, beluga lentils don’t taste all that different from other lentils. But their small size and ability to hold their shape and firm texture make them perfect for dishes that require a little more aesthetic appeal than your classic Indian dahl.
For this recipe, I combined the lentils with some of my favorite ingredients and tastes – lemon, mint, dates, and goat cheese. The dish is fresh and mild in flavor but has a perfect balance of the sweetness of the dates, the acidity of the lemon, the bitterness of the lemon zest, the saltiness of the salted almonds, and the umami of the goat cheese. It can be served as an appetizer or lunch, and it’s super easy to make. I even had leftovers that I saved for a day or two. They were still perfect.
Go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think!
Beluga Stuffed Avocados
- 4 avocados
- ½ cup raw beluga lentils
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 75 g goats cheese
- 2 large medjool dates finely chopped
- 25 g salted almonds leaves chopped
- 5 sprigs of frisk mint leaves chopped
- 5 sprigs of parsley chopped
- Zest and juice from 1/4 organic lemon
- Fresh pepper
- A generous pinch of salt
- Cook the beluga lentils according to the directions on the box, but add 1 tsp vegetable bouillon to the water. Drain and set a side.
- In a bowl mix cooked beluga lentils with lemon, salt, pepper, fresh herbs, season to taste. Add last add chunks of goats cheese, nuts and dates and give a gentle turn.
- Cut the avocados open, remove the stone and a little bit of the meat to create a large hole (save the excess meat to the smoothie next day). Fill up the hole with the beluga stuffing and serve the avocado boats straight away or store in fridge until dinner time