Can you believe it’s already time to start thinking about holiday recipes?
I’m so excited to share some of my favorite recipes with you over the next few days.
And what better way to start than with a recipe that’s new to me too?
Last week at a Christmas party with my college friends, I had the pleasure of trying this amazing nut loaf recipe.
And let me tell you, I was blown away by the delicious combination of flavors and how satisfying it was.
This dish is a fantastic alternative for vegetarians and vegans and a great addition to your holiday table.
The addition of celeriac and the layers of prunes and apples set this nut loaf apart from the classic version.
Warming you from the inside out, it’s the perfect winter dish.
I know many of us love a succulent duck or turkey breast during the holiday season, but trust me, this nut loaf is worth a try.
It’s a great way to get extra veggie action and enjoy a lighter meal.
So why not change things up and give this recipe a try?
Vegan Veggie Loaf
- 350 g mushrooms
- 150 g hazelnuts
- 400 g celeriac
- 2 small onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 prunes
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsp soy
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 °F / 200 °C
- Begin by peeling the celeriac. Du to the fact that there are so many knotted roots on the bottom half of the vegetable, using a knife is easier for this job. Then cut it into squares and boil it for approximately 10 min, until tender. Mash it or use a blender.
- Use a mini chopper or food processor to chop nuts, mushrooms, onion and garlic into a fine texture. Prepare one ingredient at a time in order not to blend everything into a puree, but actually keep some of the texture.
- Mix everything together and season to taste.
- Cut the apple into slim boats and the prunes into halves.
- Use a medium sized loaf pan (around 5 x 9). Grease it or use a piece of parchment paper. Add half of the mix. Add a layer of apple boats and top it with the prunes (se picture above). Then add the rest of the mushroom mix, and place the loaf in the oven for approximately 45 min.
- You can serve the loaf straight from the oven together with a lovely salad or you can use it as a spread on bread or simply as a side dish. It is really good and suits any occasion.